Sunday, March 14, 2010

Can Anyone Give Me Advice On Really Old eMachines Laptop?

I know it's older than dirt, but it works , and I love old computers. This one has Windows 98 second edition. I am using it right now. I have never seen Windows 98 until yesterday! I am used to Vista.My other "antique " laptop has Windows 95.


Anyway, issue numberone: The screen works. It is a bit dark, but still very visisble. The bottom half of the screen is flawless. The top half is the problem. There are vertical lines acroos the entire width.


I currently have my spare emachines wide screen connected. But portable it is not!


Issue number two: I am connected to the internet via a USB cable.I


am wondering if I can get a wireless PCMCIA card for this? It has two slots.


I am trying to find what the max capacities are on this, because I would like to install a larger HDD, and as much RAM as it can handle.


I know this is llong winded and if you took the time to read\this whole question, THANKS!
Can Anyone Give Me Advice On Really Old eMachines Laptop?
issue 1 : when ever the screen is dim or dark it is the inverter that is at fault. verticle lines: it could be the inverter, but it is usually the lcd screen it self or the video card. since the laptop is old it has a built in video card (pretty sure), meaning if its the video cards problem, you will need to get a whole new motherboard, also small problems like loose connection to the main board could be the problem.





issue2:yes if it has a slot for pcmcia card, then putting in a the card should work. and you should be easily install a larger harddrive, but stay away from hard drives with rpm greater than 4200, because old laptops usually dont have enought power circulating through the mainboard, and most of the time cannot support speeds like 5400 rpm. for the ram, I am pretty sure the max you should be able install 512mb if not then 256mb (less likely)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive