Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Will PCIe 2.0 improve my performance?

I recently bought a GeForce 9600GT for my computer. TigerDirect says mine (KFA2 9600GT Xtreme Tuner) should get 47 FPS in Crysis (1600x1200 medium). I tried the same exact card in 1680x1050 medium settings and I only get about 30 FPS. Then I realized that my motherboard only had a PCIe 1.0 (not 2.0) x16 slot. If I get a new motherboard with a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, should I see an increase in performance?
Will PCIe 2.0 improve my performance?
Probably no more than one frame per second at most. You get like a 1 frame drop from PCI-E X16 to X8. X16 is plenty of bandwidth so I sincerely doubt that's the problem.





It is probably that tigerdirect ran the test on an excellent system. Crysis surely responds to CPU, memory, timings, etc. So if they are running DDR3 @ 1800MHZ OC, Q6600 (or even a Quad Extreme) @ 3.4ghz+ with a $50 heatsink on a $200 X48 motherboard, they are going to have a serious performance advantage. So the benchmark they gave reflects more than the power of the card.





Look at this chart, it shows UT 2004 responds quite impressively to powerful processors. That said, UT2k4 isn't even a new or physics game, and Crysis is new, physicsy, and extremely demanding, so it will respond even more to CPU:


http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-c...

fruit gift baskets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive